Sunday, May 18, 2008

Who's on Facebook? Jessica Hsuan!


You’re on Facebook?! we ask. We thought Facebook was for students with too much time on their hands.

“No! I know so many people on Facebook!” said Jessica, sitting up in excitement from the headboard of the bed she was resting on. “I get people coming in and asking ‘Are you really Jessica?’ because I put my picture on there as well. Sorry, but I have to ignore them. I can’t let everybody in!”

Jessica was in town for a short time late last year to film the second season of Parental Guidance, which returns to Channel 5 on May 20, 8pm.

We were chatting on ‘Jessica’s bed’ (that’s what Chua En Lai told us), which belongs to the big house that doubled as the show’s main location for season 2, and also as a cavernous resting place for its many cast and crew members.

Jessica and Adrian Pang have separate rooms on the upper floor in which to lie down and catch forty winks between takes, while En Lai sits down in any corner close enough to a power outlet for his Macbook. The three kids in the show have their own play den in the basement.

So what exactly does she do on Facebook? Jessica told us she’s really into the site’s vampire games – “I get attacked everyday!” – and sending her friends little growing gifts and hatching eggs.

“I’m happy when I get them, so it’s easy to just click click click and make someone else happy,” she said.

But for all the time she spends on the site, she tells us she takes precautions with it.

“For our job, being a public figure, we have to be careful what we put up there,” she said. Heed that, young stars/starlets!

When we caught up with Jessica, it was the last day of filming in Singapore, and she talked a lot about missing the three young actors who play Jessica and Adrian’s wise-beyond-their-years adopted kids on the show.

Through them, her dormant maternal instincts were awakened. “It’s funny because when I was younger I used to dislike kids, but I think it’s a woman thing, you know … as you grow older!” she said, laughing.

That said, Jessica’s not exactly raring to procreate just yet. For this season, she’s had to – spoiler alert – put on a bulbous stomach prosthesis and says it was definitely tough, especially in our hot weather, to carry such weight around.

But life was made easier with the happy cast around her – she has special praise for Adrian and lamented that he was already married. “Lucky Tracie!” she said, referring to Adrian’s theatre director wife, Tracie Pang.

Jessica spoke in awe of Adrian’s ability to tackle a breadth of roles on TV and in theatre. “I’ve seen him on Maggi & Me and PG, which are comedies, and then I went to see a play he was in, The Dresser, and I saw another side of him. He was brilliant in it. And then this year, I watched him in The Pillowman, and there was another different Adrian. I was so impressed,” she said. In the former, Adrian played an effeminate stylist, and then became a sinister detective in the latter. “I really started thinking to myself, ‘I really should work a bit harder on my acting!’”

Not that acting is a cinch for Jessica either. In Parental Guidance, she’s had to take on a manic obsessive character, Ling, whose desire for control and stability is compounded by the fact that she has to live with the constantly bungling James Seto (Adrian’s character).

How different is the uptight Ling from the actual Jessica?

“Well, I am very hygienic, but not as hygienic as Ling,” said Jessica, laughing. Ling, if you recall, is a typical Type A hypochondriac who carried wet wipes with her to sanitize every surface before she touched it.

“Well, Ling is a straightforward person and I am too … oh dear, it’s quite similar isn’t it? Especially when she’s moody.. I get a bit moody sometimes as well,” Jessica said, almost apologetically. “The only difference is that I’m not a lawyer!”

We also saw Ling as an extremely violent person in the last season, but Jessica quickly said she was nothing like that. “Oh dear, I’d never hit my other half like that.”

She’d probably just poke him on Facebook.

Parental Guidance returns for a second season on Tues, May 20, at 8pm on 5!

source: http://asianfanatics.net/forum/Who-s-on-Facebook-Jessica-Hsuan--talk541109.html

No comments: